Tuesday, March 11, 2014

In the Kitchen: Wild Mushroom Soup



Mushrooms are seriously the most underrated kitchen ingredient. They are filled with umami flavour and when time is taken to really coax these flavours out, you are left with a luxurious soup base.

Fresh wild mushrooms
This is the first time I've ever attempted mushroom soup and trust me when I say that the tin canned mushroom soups will be a thing of the past. Such rich flavours that you get from this soup are no where close to the canned soup!




When working with wild mushrooms, be sure to check how tough the stems are. I usually cut mine off because they are too tough BUT the stems hold a LOT of flavour so I leave it to soak in a bowl of hot water. I add this liquid in to the soup later.



In order to make this soup a little lighter, I used reducing and blending to my favour. Instead of adding whipping cream or flour, you simply just simmer it a little longer until you reach your desire consistency. I blended only half my mushrooms to thicken the soup but I still wanted actual mushroom pieces in the soup.



I n g r e d i e n t s
Makes ~7 servings
  • Olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 lbs mixed fresh wild mushrooms (chantrelles, girolles, shiitake, oyster, white, cremini.. Wild mushrooms should be cleaned with stems separated. Soak mushroom stems in hot water)
  • 2 tbsp dried thyme or 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp miso (optional)
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • Salt and pepper
D i r e c t i o n s

s t e p 1
Drizzle olive oil into a deep pot on low-medium. Add the garlic and onions and cook until translucent. Add your mushrooms and stir around quickly to coat them all in olive oil. You will notice the mushrooms releasing all their liquid and at this point, add your herbs. 

s t e p 2
Season to taste and add 1 cup of the stock. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain some mushrooms (this is really to your liking. If you prefer a chunky soup, don't take any mushrooms out!) and add them to a blender along with a little bit of stock. Blend until smooth and add it back into the pot .

s t e p 3
Add the rest of the stock along with the miso and simmer for another 15 minutes. Season and serve

You can serve this soup as you like, but there are different ways you can finish it off. Add some lemon to give it a beautiful tang (trust me, it works) or you could toast some crostini and place it at the bottom of the bowls. Pour the soup on top to give it a heavier taste. You could even drizzle some oil ontop. Sky's the limit!

N u t r i t i o n a l  I n f o r m a t i o n
Serving Size: 1 cup
| Calories: 86 cal | Protein: 4.5 g | Total Fat: 1.6 g | Sodium: 891 mg | Fiber: 0.6 g | Sugar: 4.6 g | Carb: 3.9 g|