Thursday, February 27, 2014

In the Kitchen: Skinny Turkey Chili

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



This week has been so incredibly cold and what is better on a freezing cold day than a steaming hot bowl of chili?

When it comes to chili, I'm an odd soul. I don't like to use a slow cooker. I find it gets too mushy and I still like that bit of crunch to my vegetables. I always make mine when I get home from work and will have it ready by dinner. 


I also don't like to cook the meat first. Especially with turkey, the meat can easily get very dry if it is the first thing cooked so I usually add the carrots (which take forever to cook!) first and add more vegetables from there.

This recipe makes 7 servings which is perfect for a week's worth of lunch or dinner. But with my big family, we finished this in one night!


Ingredients
Makes 7 servings
  • 1 tsp each: oregano, basil
  • 5 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 5 zucchinis, diced, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can assorted beans (black, kidney, lima, chickpeas)
  • 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 4 tsp chili seasoning
  • 3 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Tabasco (optional)
Directions
  1. Heat a large pot over low-medium heat with oil. Add herbs to flavour the oil. Add garlic and onions and slowly cook until translucent
  2. Add carrots and turn heat up to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
  3. Add zucchinis and bell peppers. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often
  4. Add the turkey and break it up while stirring and mixing everything together. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often
  5. Add the tomato sauce along with the beans. Add the tomatoes and stir to mix everything together.
  6. Finally add the seasonings (adjust to your liking) and cover. Cook for 15-20 more minutes on low-medium heat to really let the flavours marinate together.
Serving Size: 1.5 cup | Calories: 207 cals | Total Fat: 5.6 g | Fiber: 6 g | Sodium: 344 mg | Protein: 17.8 g | Sugar: 10.2 g |